Whole Grains Benefits
Whole grains benefits are extensive and well documented. Whole grains are referred to as the cereal grains that consist of the germ and the bran as well as endosperm. Refined grains retain only the endosperm. Whole grains can be easily sprouted while refined grains cannot be sprouted. Some of the common whole grain products are in some cereals, whole wheat bread, rolled oats, sprouted grains, brown rice, and popcorn.
Whole grains are definitely more nutritious than refined grains because of the presence of germ and bran. Some of the common benefits from whole grains are:
1) Whole grains regulate the insulin balance in the body. Insulin is a hormone that is secreted by the pancreatic gland. It is instrumental in the metabolism of sugar to glucose. Whole grains regulate the bodies sensitivity to insulin, thereby helping to avert the incidence of type II diabetes.
2) Consuming whole grains also reduces the chances of obesity. This can be attributed to the fact that whole grains help in the metabolism of sugar, thereby preventing the accumulation of it in the body, which in turn protects you from weight gain and eventually obesity.
3) Whole grains reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol as well as triglycerides in the body. These components can lead to various cardiovascular diseases. For example, LDL cholesterol (or the bad cholesterol) generally gets accumulated in the blood vessels, leading to a constriction of these vessels, thereby causing hypertension. Whole grains are effective in preventing various cardiovascular aliments.
4) Whole grains also protect you from hemorrhagic stroke.
5) Eating whole grains prevent the occurrence of various inflammatory diseases.
6) Whole grains are highly instrumental in curing the symptoms of respiratory and allergic afflictions like asthma. Whole grains, on account of their nutritive value, strengthen the immune system of the body. Asthma, a disease caused by malfunctioning of the immune system of the body, is controlled by the rejuvenation or strengthening of the immune system.
7) Whole grains are also effective against tooth loss and gum diseases.
8) Whole grains may be helpful in curing/controlling various acute ailments like colorectal cancer.
9) Whole grains also regulate the level of your blood pressure.
It is recommended that every individual consume at least 2.5 servings of whole grains on a daily basis, to get the maximum benefits of their nutritional content. When you buy food items, make sure to check the labels and identify the foods with whole grain ingredients and include them in your daily diet.
If you enjoyed this article please like and share it.
More: Health foods